Thursday 31 January 2013

[Review] Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence
























This is Missha's version of SK-II infamous Facial Treatment Essence. SK-II products contain the star ingredient saccharomycopsis ferment filtrate, also named pitera, which is a yeast derived from the fermentation of sake. According to SK-II, pitera has moisturizing and antioxidant properties, and it is found in every single product of this brand.

So, how is Missha's essence related to all of this? Missha uses a yeast named saccharomyces ferment filtrate in their essence, which is derived from beer. And the most interesting thing, both yeasts are from the same family. Does that mean that they will work the same? I think it is very likely.

Now let's check the ingredients of both products. I will highlight the most exciting ingredients in each product.

SK-II Facial Treatment Essence

Saccharomycopsis Ferment Filtrate (90%), Butylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Aqua, Sodium Benzoate, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid

Missha The First Treatment Essence

Saccharomyces Ferment Filtrate (80%), Propanediol, LicoriceNiacinamide, Polyquaternium-51, Bifida Ferment Lysate, Ulmus Davidiana Root Extract, Raffinose, Amaranthus Caudatus Seed, Piper Methysticum Leaf/Root Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Beta Vulgaris Root, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis, Camomille Extract, Phellodendron Amurense Bark, Cassia Alata Leaf Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Tromethamine, Water, Adenosine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Lactic Acid, Phenoxyethanol


Well... Missha is a clear winner here! It has a lot of beneficial ingredients apart from the mentioned yeast, such as licorice extract, niacinamide, bifida ferment lysate, centella asiatica, hyaluronic acid, adenosine, lactic acid... etc. But SK-II only focuses on one star ingredient, and I think that's a shame. Given that you have to pay around $150 for SK-II essence, I would expect to get a more exciting formula other than the one offered (which is a very basic water-based toner with two moisturizing ingredients, three preservatives and the infamous yeast). Even if pitera was as good as SK-II claims, I just cannot justify the price. I think Missha did a good job in offering an "improved" version of this toner by adding tons of beneficial ingredients with moisturizing, whitening, antioxidant and anti-inflamatory properties. 

In fact, this was a huge hit in Korea and it is said Missha sold 1 million units in one year! And it's just around $30 in Korea, so it is waaaaay more affordable than the SK-II one. 


My review




I got this in the 30ml version, which is a travel size. But you can get the full size (150ml) for around $34 on ebay, which is 5 times cheaper than SK-II toner!

This is applied immediately after washing your face, to help retain the moisture. Usually I use 2-3 drops  of this and I apply it to my face with my hands while doing a massage. 

I think this toner works best for people with oily to normal skin, since it is very lightweight and it absorbs super fast. It could also work for people that suffer from discolorations, since its high content of niacinamide and licorice would help to lighten and even out skin tone. I have seen an improvement in my dark spots, and I think it is thanks to using this product along with my whitening serum and moisturizer.

I am overall very satisfied with this and I can't wait for trying the full size!

Overall rate: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. Just found this review and I was very iffy about wanting to get the Missha Essence because I have always heard good about SK-II but its super expensive. This was very helpful for deciding and I'm glad you got so detailed about the ingredients. I will definitely be buying myself a bottle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found my review helpful! ^^
      I just finished my Missha First Treatment Essence and I wanna buy a second bottle~
      I think this time I'll get the full bottle... I think it's worth it <3

      Delete