Saturday 19 January 2013

My thoughts on Likas Papaya Soap


I bought this last year at my local Filipino store . I was so excited because I had read tons of rave reviwes online and I thought I would like to give it a try to fade my old acne scars. At first I thought it was working indeed. I used it in both my face and my underarms (to brighten them). I thought it was awesome (and strange) that my face looked so brightened after rinsing the soap off. It looked really really fair, like if my skin had lightened 2-3 shades all of a sudden. Saddenly, this effect didn't last long, and it fade away after some minutes. I still kept using it religiously 2 a day, hoping to make my ance scarring less obvious and my underarms a bit less embarrassing. But then, after 2 weeks of using this, I started breaking out badly on my cheeks. At first, I didn't think this soap could be the culprit, so I kept using it. Only when I stopped using it, my face started to got clearer (but it left me with some awful acne scarring on my cheeks that I'm still trying to heal). 

I was so disappointed. I couldn't understand why a supposedly "natural" soap could have such a strong reaction on my skin. Then I decided to look at the ingredients. This has 9 types of soap... 9! If one type of soap is bad enough for drying out your skin, imagine what 9 types could do. This soap strips away every single oil of your skin. It is not gentle at all. But that is not everything. When looking at the ingredients, I noticed something very strange. This has sunscreen, in the form of titanium dioxide. And guess what titanium dioxide does after you apply it to your face? Yes, it leaves you an annoying white cast that makes you look pale like a ghost. Titanium dioxide is used both as a sunscreen and as a pigment to color cosmetics. And surprisingly, it is used in Likas Papaya Soap to make you think it is "whitening" your skin, when in fact it is only leaving you some white pigment that fades away when you wash your skin again. Simply as that. 


And what about the famous papaya ingredient that is supposed to lighten your skin? Let's see. Papaya enzyme has indeed some mild (very mild) exfoliation properties, and this soap contains indeed some papaya... as the last ingredient. So it probably has a tiny amount just so the makers can say they're using that ingredient. And I guess a "Papaya soap" sounds more attractive to customers than a "Titanium dioxide soap" that can only whiten your skin in the same way makeup and sunscreens do. 


You could at least say that this works well as a soap. But no. This has sodium laureth sulfate, a known skin drying ingredient that irritates your skin with constant use. You know you are using cleansers with SLS it they leave your skin dry and tight after rinsing. Doesn't matter how much you moisturize afterwards, the harm is already done. SLS works by stripping the natural oils of your face, and therefore it can trigger acne. I got really painful breakouts on my cheek after using Likas as a face cleanser. So you don't want this soap or any soap in bar form near your face, if you don't wanna ruin your skin. 


So I hope I helped people understand how the "magic" in this soap works. I was very disappointed myself when I figured out everything. But I guess it was too good to be true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment