Tuesday 26 March 2013

Getting rid of a permatan

Because of all the years I have spent in the sun as a child with no sunscreen, my face is now 3 to 4 shades darker than the rest of my body, something that I find really annoying. That permanent skin darkening is called "permatan" since your skin cells have already been damaged and are no longer producing your original skin color, but a darker skin color in order to protect that part of your skin from future sun damage.

I just want to even out the color of my face so it matches the rest of my body. That's why I have decided to remove my permatan. 

Fortunately, all sun damage is -to some extent- reversible. The most widely used product is Retin-A or any tretinoin based product. That alone can reverse a lot of sun damage. But in order to achieve an even skin color, you must follow a set of rules. 

I have done tons of research about this topic and I have found what are the keys for getting rid of a permatan.


1) Exfoliate with a good AHA exfoliant, such as a weekly peel of lactic acid or glycolic acid (percentages should be between 40-50%). Lactic acid is actually better since it works best for people with sensitive skin and it has moisturizing properties. It also inhibits melanin protection and helps prepare the skin so it can absorb better all the products you're putting in. No whitening serum or cream will work if your skin isn't well exfoliated. Of course, using any tretinoin product is great too for exfoliation.

Product recommendations: Retin-A, Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid, MUA Lactic Acid 40%


2) Whiten your skin with a good serum or cream that has proven whitening ingredients. Some ingredients that have shown to work are arbutin, kojic acid, licorice, niacinamide, vitamin c, tranexamic acid, glutathione, sepiwhite, alpha arbutin, gigawhite, azelaic acid... etc. 

Product recommendations: Naruko Derma Pro Multi Peptide Brightening Serum, UNT Ex White Serum, Skinfood Omija Whitening Serum. 


3) Protect your skin always with a good sunscreen (preferably zinc oxide based). Zinc oxide protects skin for both UVA and UVB, so it is one of the more reliable ingredients. You have to use sunscreen every single day, even if it is cloudy or rainy. 

Product recommendations: Biotherma Mineral Sunscreen SPF50+++, Ducray Melascreen Lotion SPF50++


I am gonna start this regimen soon. Will keep updating~!

3 comments:

  1. Hey! How is your regimen working for you so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I just started this regimen one month ago. Thanks to the Retin-A, I got rid of all my acne and my scars seem to be fading away. I keep on exfoliating my skin and I expect to get rid of my permatan in 3-4 months. Being constant is the key~!

      Delete
  2. Hi there!
    I was wondering how are you progressing?

    I am in the same boat as you I believe. My face is several shades darker than the rest of my body.

    ReplyDelete